LCL

Interact with Scratch project using the body and physical world

Some students and others become interested in creating with Scratch when there’s a physical world connection, where they can start by moving their bodies to interact with their project. You can use some of the existing Scratch blocks to do this, such as the loudness block or video sensing blocks. For example, see Mitch’s hungry bat project and the video sensing starter projects

Some popular physical devices are connecting using the Makey Makey or LEGO WeDo.

There are also experimental Scratch extensions on the ScratchX.org site (such as the micro:bit device and interacting with Spotify music).

@benjiwheeler The experimental Leapmotion extension is available on the ScratchX.org site. I haven’t tried it but know that the Clubhouse in Minneapolis has been using and saw the coordinator demo it and explain that it’s attracted a lot of teens to start coding their own games.

Yo he utilizado varias cosas de estas con Scratch, como makey makey, algunos complementos de la pagina de http://scratchx.org/

Además Scratch al ser software libre, se han creado modificaciones como S4A o mBlock para usar con arduino, en esta linea una de las ultimas cosas que he estado haciendo es la realización de videojuegos, para el entrenamiento inicial de prótesis de miembro superior para niños y adultos.

Tambien he usado Scratch, para programas las GPIO de raspberry Pi

Aqui les dejo un post del temas, especialmente en la presentación muestro algunas cosas de las que he realizado usando Scratch con el mundo fisico https://jegcgarcas.wordpress.com/2017/09/14/con-scratch-en-chile/

It took a little fiddling, but I got it working and made a demo video! Thanks for letting me know that this, my kids are going to flip!

Wow - @benjiwheeler- a great, simple but powerful example you created right away - thanks for sharing! We’ll be interested to hear more about how your students may use it.

@Javiertecteos It’s interesting to hear how you have been making connections to physical devices with Raspberry Pi and other devices, including Ardunio. Also interesting to hear that you are creating games to help people learn to use prosthetic devices. I appreciate you sharing your blog post on physical world connections and Scratch in Chile.

I love the interactions; I love to create relationships between the physical world and the digital world. I like to call it tunnel connecting the two worlds .

As educator I found that making these tunnels is a great activity for learning, and to nurture the “hard fun” concept
During the years I have experimented a lot of tunnels using Makey Makey & Scratch, microbit; Mindstorm&AppInventor having a lot ho hard fun building musical instruments, trash toys, science simulators, art generator and so on…

Here some examples

Playing monopoli with Scratch

Constellations Simulator with microbit

RoboPainter via App

MaMa Dynamo Simulator

MaMa Clarinet

If you got a Kinect (I tried with version 1) you can do pretty amazing stuff. I made this video a year ago. Check out the github-link in the video Stephen Howell made it happen. I was curious so I tried… :smiley:

Hi @Natalie as educator I think it is important to stay connected and make experiences with and in the physical world, also to better understand Interaction design.
Your question reminds me a tinkering experience at my school, where I asked my students for making a scribble machine but they were inspired and they create many different things https://vimeo.com/93478017

After a while I started to think how to move the objects they created during the activities. so we discussed in our library makerspace and we started to work on Merry-go-around project with Arduino and Scratch