LCL

How to encourage Creativity as a Parent?

:heart: :heart: :heart:

This idea keeps popping up in this interesting conversation, and it made me think about my father and a curious fact that my sisters and me have later discussed many times:

• when he tried to be a teacher (like if you were struggling with math or something at school and asked for help), he was kind of terrible: impatient and not too empathetic with your difficulties…
  • however, in most other situations, he nailed it: he transmited us his love (& wisdom) for things like reading or cooking, just like a good librarian would do, with patience, scarce (but wise) counselling, lots of space for exploration, and being a true lifelong learner himself.

Just wanted to share it :slight_smile:

I was reading an article by David Rock about power and modes of thinking, not the best article I’ve read from David Rock… specialized language seems grammatically faulty to me, but interesting all the same. It discusses mental modes: one view is big picture overly optimistic, disconnected from the details of reality and the other is more realistic with the weight of details.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90230146/power-changes-your-brain-and-thats-not-always-a-good-thing?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiT1dRMk1tSXpaV05qTXpaaCIsInQiOiI3NXVqZHFMZE55YW5YZXNVVzFGQmhoeGt6Sk5vdDBmMWg5NzIwZEgyXC93dko2V1kzbGhFb2M5MUNPSnIrTGN5RnlTN2xPbTZLSGF2R3d6enJuWE5cL3NpUktYZk5vN0I4eENmZlQ1YktwQnpyWHNhamtrUkQzbllGV2FoYWdveVYxIn0%3D

Another gem! I love it. Have shared it with my school colleagues and facebook art group. Thank you!

One of the most creative people I met had a dad who refused to buy him any toys. He taught him and supported him to make his own.

I love the way conversations are flowing into different directions from this topic…

Each of you inspire me through your work & suggestions… adding here a few other things that I really wanted to mention, in case it resonates with you and others who have not posted yet…

1. Leading by example
  2. Referring to books and movies… and I know the list is long but we can always chat and exchange thoughts around it offline as I am sure these conversations will continue forever… One movie that immensely inspired me and I am sure one day if I have a child, will make them watch it… It’s a creative movie produced by Pixar - called Inside Out… Recently after moving to Vancouver, I had an opportunity to see the making of it in a Science World… here is a picture

1. And another question that I often struggle to find an answer with… and I think perhaps a lot of experience & time will help understand it better… It’s the timing of intervention while a child is allowed to explore & learn or practice Creativity through work or projects at home…, like when to stop, allow or encourage… It’s a balance for sure and I would love to hear stories from all of you… if you have time to share your thoughts after you’re done with rest of the interesting areas being touched in the weekly activities…

2. Answering as many possible a question a child may ask you… and not letting their inquisitive mind feel threatened or shy away at any point of time. Recently I was observing a mother with 2 kids on a bus. The elder child a young girl, kept on asking questions while he was traveling … like “mom, what are brakes?”, “how do they work?” Either tired or irritated for any reason, the mom scolded her and asked her to keep quiet, as if she was embarrassed if the answer she gives sound wrong in front of outsiders… I think may be we should try and answer and in case we don’t know an answer admit it and assure the little minds that we’ll come back later with a better answer… Thoughts?

That is fascinating - and makes me think of myself and my husband and how we are toward our kids. When the ideas stem from the kids and we are along for the ride, we tend to be much more open and patient and listen to where they want to go. When we have decided on the task/project/idea and want to “teach” them (with an endpoint in mind) it is much more stressful for everyone. This week our daughter wanted to carve a pumpkin (She is 5). It was all her idea and she initiated everything - even reminding us when the pumpkins would be on sale at our school. She was about to start and then, “Wait, mama! I need to make a plan for my design on paper first and I want to look at my halloween stickers on the window for ideas” - eventually choosing features from different pumpkins for her own. She was so engaged and we became less and less a part of it and more just supporting her. It was really lovely. Thanks for reminding me of this. You’ve helped me capture a really lovely memory.

Lovely indeed… :heart_eyes: Thanks for sharing the story!

This happened for me too, my dad refused to buy me a big toy kitchen instead my mom told me "make it yourself " so she gave me some card boards and I started making a kitchen with a stove, a dish washer and a refrigerator out of card boards. I remember that it didn’t become very fancy like those in toy stores but I can say that it was one of my favorite toys because it made me feel proud of myself . I think these kinds of supports from family gives children creative confidence.

Rsrsrs, também agradeço ao Google Tradutor por poder compartilhar meus pensamentos com todos vocês! ( É um grande desafio para mim, falar com tantas pessoas de lugares tão distintos!)

Olá Mohona, tudo bem?

Estou aqui, lendo o que escreveste… fui uma criança muito curiosa e tive sorte de ter uma família (tios e avós) que gostavam de responder minhas perguntas e contar-me histórias. Isto foi importante para construir o meu repertório imagético. O fato de ter tido um infância muito pobre ajudou-me a inventar coisas… Tudo o que vejo no lixo, é uma grande possibilidade de criação. Estou aqui com o desafio de aprender! Desde já agradeço a você e a todos por compartilhar pensamentos e ideias…

Abraços

Lucivânia

Hi Mohona,

Thank you for sharing this post. As someone who has always been highly creative, I’ve thought about this alot as I have seen my own daughter (age 5) show interest in the creative arts. Ultimately it depends on what type of creativity as there are two buckets –

1. creative arts (music, art, dance, theatre, etc.)
  2. technical creativity (design, engineering…basically the more concrete/applicable forms of creativity)

To reinforce creativity, certain strengths must be emphasized in order for it to truly thrive:

a. Risk-taking/Experimentation - To breed new ideas, one must be comfortable with risks and experimentation as they yield new information about the world around them. These behaviors can help with the exploration phase of the creative process.

b. Grit/Resiliency/Comfort with rejection, failure, and mistakes - Due to the experimental nature of both forms of creativity, it is important that one is comfortable with failure or hearing no. For the creative arts, many forms are quite subjective where it is extremely rare for mass approval of the work you put on. To thrive in that space, it is helpful for creative individuals to learn that no happens and that is ok – That no is not a reflection of you as a person but that it can be a mix of factors which contribute to why that occurs. On the other side of creativity, part of the process is often trying things and then having to start over because something went awry. It’s important to have a positive spin on failure as opportunities to learn and rethink. Providing children early with small experiences to be comfortable with no and/or failure are super important. The easiest ways to do this are with the learning experience in school. Teaching kids to engage fully in the learning process and to not shy away when it takes time to understand education concepts reinforces the power of grit and the comfort in the messy process of growth as a whole. Speaking from personal experience, rejection was really hard for me in my formative years and often held me back from my full potential within the creative arts. I’ve been spending the last few years changing that.

c. Imagination/Curiosity/Exploration - Imagination/curiosity is the spark for new ideas to form. Being able to think abstractly or to dive in fully to a topic can reinforce tangential thinking and bigger questions. Reading, engaging in pretend play or light exercises built around abstract thinking, attending event/programs related to the creative interest, and meeting people who are in that creative community can all help. Example, I have a bucket list wish to do a long term world travel experience with my daughter to help her explore music history. The idea is to take one or two trips each year to a different part of the world that was influential for music (e.g. New York for broadway, or London for the punk scene.) This way she would be able to be in the physical space where the type of specified music unfolded while being immersed in the music itself.

I hope this helps! Happy to explore this more as creativity is a deep passion of mine.

Dear Lucivannia,
Thanks a lot for your reply and thank you for attempting to write in response to this topic as it brought me so much joy to learn about your new language Portuguese and also about your thoughts that has touched our minds and has given us new insights about your childhood as well as your ideas about parenting and creative learning…
Mohona
[Translating to Portuguese for you…, trusting Google translate once again :wink:

Caro Lucivannia, Muito obrigado pela sua resposta e obrigado por tentar escrever em resposta a este tópico, pois me trouxe muita alegria aprender sobre sua nova língua Português e também sobre seus pensamentos que tocaram nossas mentes e nos deu novos insights sobre a sua infância, bem como suas idéias sobre pais e aprendizagem criativa … Mohona
]

And your response above… in English…

"Hi Mohona, how are you?

I’m here, reading what you wrote … I was a very curious child and I was lucky to have a family (uncles and grandmothers) who liked to answer my questions and tell me stories. This was important to build my imagery repertoire. The fact that I had a very poor childhood helped me to invent things … Everything I see in the trash is a great possibility of creation. I am here with the challenge of learning! Thanks in advance to you and to everyone for sharing thoughts and ideas …

Hugs

Lucivânia"

:heart::heart::heart:
Hi @kaleenarheeya, I love your ideas. They are so thoughtful and I fully agree that one of the best ways to educate is to expose a child to this environment and in that context this idea of traveling is simply awesome… This will surely enrich her with tons of experience and exposure… My perspective changed a lot about people and culture, the more I received an opportunity to travel the world and sometimes it made me feel how privileged I was, while sometimes helped me learn what is new that was missing in my life… in every sphere… … Besides every point that you touched is so true! Thanks for sharing all these with us… hope to keep in touch and talk more later…

What an amazing idea! I took my daughter overseas for the first time this summer and she learned more in those three weeks than she ever could reading a book about the country.

Our parents definitely shared the joy of creating with us. Sometimes collaborating - sewing or sawing our drawings into clothes or decorations, giving us bear beds to draw faces and feet, my brother license to draw and paint on his bedroom walls, sometimes teaching us through their example, and direct instruction with tools and materials.

Spielen macht Schule

JOVO Basic 300 | Spielen macht Schule

Experimentieren und konstruieren Von JOVO Mithilfe des Konstruktionssets JOVO können sich Kinder verschiedenen Alters spielerisch in Planung, Kreativität und räumlichem Denken üben. Aus einzelnen verknüpfbaren Grundflächen lassen sich bunte und…

(Another idea for to build collaboratively)

Thanks for your post @Paola_Caneppele!

Translating in English what you wrote in German…, correct me if I am wrong…

“Experimenting and constructing By JOVO Using the JOVO design kit, children of all ages can playfully engage in planning, creativity and spatial thinking. From individual linkable surfaces can be colorful and …”

I found this classic chinese game in abook &play shop ,it’s apowerful game,it makes your brain be thinking at different way,so when i took it ,i guss that is for my six years kid,then all my older kids enjoied to play,lately i spend time with my little one,three years old play with this game,when the other in school,so i realize how this game is awsome,after that ,i will be give hime any pieces and engage with to make some of things.like make shapes from sticks.

Wow! Today is 8th Nov and almost a month has passed since the beginning of this round of LCL … and yet so many new posts, thoughts and ideas are getting exchanged in this topic. I want to thank you all for contributing to this topic as well as in others and exchanging these different aspects of Creative Learning experiences as we grow together in this community…

This is “Play” week [[Wk 5 - Activity] Take Time for Tinkering] and hence @Hajer.R - your post reminds me of the role of parents in playfully connecting with their children. And there are so many ways, every simple or complex game teaches us something or the other.

The match sticks are such great examples of allowing one to form shapes and boxes or any design that comes on a mind. I remember playing with my father with match sticks arranged on a floor somewhat similar to your diagram shared, where it was used to either create a house or a path to a box or even alphabets etc.

Play doh and cardboards I guess are great materials too, in helping develop these creative expressions and something out of nothing. It helps improve imagination and explain better. I wish I had some pictures to share in this context…

I used to watch my grandmom, playing solitaire and it was called “Patience” in India for some reason. I wondered why it was so and what made her so happy that she is playing alone. Then I realized what patience means truly! :smile:

There are numerous ready made toys available in the market often utilized in a play school … I have seen great hidden lessons in many of them… even there were some that helped kids learn through pretend play… One that strikes my mind in that context is Marble run that allows one to mindfully build the channels to let the marble flow in a pattern towards the target. Even catapult is a nice example that allows one to estimate how far one may place it and at what angle to throw the ball in order to let the projectile motion work in a way to hit it right on target… Let’s discuss Play, Parents and Performances… that may help us learn Learning… something new…