LCL

How might tech criticism fit into technology edu?

About cycles, my fave media theorist, Douglas Rushkoff, included this funny solution to the problem he wrote about in Present Shock (problem= we are always on and that makes us nervous wrecks).

The solution he proposed was to connect back to natural cycles, specifically lunar cycles. There’s this theory that claims that each phase of the moon triggers specific neurochemicals that position you to engage in diff types of work or activity, sometimes networking, other times silent reflection, etc. Let me see if I can find the scheme.

I don’t believe in the scheme literally. but I do appreciate how DR is saying that cycles are normal and that we would do well to acknowledge them and embrace them rather than try to suppress them and act like robots with one setting.

Here’s a link to Rushkoff: https://justadandak.com/present-shock-matching-the-rhythms-of-the-moon/

@Xanthe_Matychak

Yes. And if one could align these natural feelings with a process, such as:

B.
A Continuous Learning

Authentic open questions and generative conversations support continuous learning with personal discussions. Prevailing social media technologies enable teachers to scale personalized interactions. Providing not only learning. Also the development of the learning narrative/corpus.

With a constructionist technology like ‘Notion.so’. Create adaptive personal project sites. Digitally avail at all times. Within the formatting of personal sites. You could highlight personal learning narratives in behavioral terms.

I have an example from practice:’The Reflective Practitioner’

Some notes on @dalsdorf worksheet examples as tools in discussion.
__
Demonstrate the priority ‘Definition’ takes in constructing speech in regards to questions of Technology by placing it logically above the questions. Form Definition as generative conversation:

You woke up, today. Which technology did you use first? Which technology did you use the most frequent? The longest, today? What does Technology mean to you? Take your 3 examples of Technology. Use examples to write a your personal definition.
++

Then ask:
’What can technologies make worse? Better??’

I.

Attached is a sample worksheet I used this Monday. Nothing special. I chose the questions based on conversations from a previous class.

@dalsdorf

II.

‘…one day per week event, which is far from ideal, particularly if sessions are less than 90 minutes. Sample worksheet attached below as two screenshots. The less frequently we meet, the more important it becomes to light a fire through provocative discussions. The worksheets support discussions and are an assessment and record keeping tool.’

@dalsdorf

III.

‘I appreciate that you wrote a worksheet in response to class discussion. I do that a lot. While I have an overall week-to-week plan for the course, I have left room for responding to themes that emerge. I’m afraid this comes off to the students as unorganized. They are so used to having every detail planned out.’

@Xanthe_Matychak

IV.

‘ Yes, this can be challenging with colleagues, admins and parents too. Increasingly I find myself using the worksheet approach because it creates a record (re: accountability) and signals a definite temporal and medial shift. ‘

@dalsdorf

V.

’ I want to build community in my class which is hard when we only meet 2 hours a week. How I’ve attempted to build community this semester is to assign the students small study groups, peers they should reach out to as they do their homework. But it’s not working out consistently, they are still working as loners when it’s clear to me that they would be further along and learning more deeply if they reached out for feedback from their peers more often…hmmm ‘

@Xanthe_Matychak

Part 4 soon

Right. Or at least be aware of when our brain cycles and project cycles are aligned. Sadly, a design project often has external demands that don’t allow us to line up choronobiology with project timeline.

But wouldn’t it be cool to have a design studio that did organize projects in this way? “Hi Client. Oh, sorry. Our firm isnt taking meetings this week. It’s a serotonin week. We need to take advantage of our lunar position of focus and get sh*t done”

I think it can be built into someone’s project plan, @Xanthe_Matychak . A long horizon. For example, Kim Goodwin provides a project buffer algorithm in Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services, here:
https://books.google.com/books?id=yH6Aqr5zKJEC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

I made a Roadmap in 2015 for a personal R & D process. Including these cycles here:

C. Mindfulness

__
@Xanthe_Matychak
@MissMissShelly
@gulen

Is there a difference between [T]echnology and [t]echnology?
Do Productive or Consumptive behaviors affect differently?

The transition design prospectus from Carnegie Mellon Design may be inspiring, here:
[https://design.cmu.edu/sites/default/files/Transition_Design_Monograph_final.pdf]

There is also a set of talks from the ‘Bioneers’, here:
[https://bioneers.org/]

===================================
I.

'a feature of technology that bothers me a lot: how technology can isolate us and make us feel lonely. This feature is yet is another reason that I am driven to facilitate community and connection in tech teaching and learning.
A few ways to do this pulled from what I’ve read here or experimented with:
• a remix project
• an assignment that requires small group discussion
• a project that has an inherently social/placed based theme (shelter, city, etc)
• a project made for someone else (empathy)
• cohort based courses like this one
• “ask 3 then me” rule (too prescriptive?)
Question: What other types of assignments & facilitation techniques do you use to nurture social connection?’
__
@Xanthe_Matychak

For Halloween, I went as Captain Curiosity, and one of my Kindergarten students wanted to know Why? I replied I want to know things, and he asked « what do you want to know? » and my mulled response (that I kept to myself) was « why are we so stuck as adults? We know our manufacturing, transportation and food systems are polluting and killing. Why are we not changing?
I am still asking myself « what do I want to know? » I am disconcerted that I don’t have quick answers bubbling up, that there is that sheepish blank. I suspect because it is just too broad a question right now and when I narrow the focus I will find my voice.
__
@MissMissShelly

Before that moment, I was conscious about harmful mass production, mostly not satisfied with trendy clothes, even suffering from fashion and have ability and opportunity to design my t-shirts but I didn’t even intend to do it before. And here is the coincidence that the time I decided to do that is also the period that I have been practising mindfulness and defining myself without benefiting from people and products and relations that I am surrounded with.
So I think, in order to create something, we must first need to do it without thinking about ‘how to do it’. And to create something new, we must look closer to our stories that we have created until this moment. Any item created based on our stories will be unique, so there will be no problem of novelty.
One last word: if we acknowledge who we are, we will be aware of our feelings and understand that even our sharp emotional reactions such as hate and anger are not us, they are only feelings that can come and go and we have many other responses to those feelings. As a result we may get closer to kindness which reduces the risk of using technology or any other abilities/opportunities to harm environment/humans, etc.
We need mindfulness in education
@gulen

I’d like to think so but I cant tell you how many times I’ve introduced digifab to someone and the first thing they want to do is print a corporate character logo. I know better now and encourage folks to stretch beyond that initial instinct

This was a focus we had when working with youth in unstable housing. To turn technology use from consumption to production::creativity

Maybe we can redefine logos ; ) I have heard it said that a brand is a promise.

When I design branding emerges from the work within the project. I always start with a text logo. Letting the visual identity grow from there.

So a text-based logo is a written promise. When abstracted from corporations.

Well I mean that this person’s ‘mario brother’ can be abstracted. And linked to some deeper personal narrative, constructively. A human journey of heroics, skill and learning. Maybe the 3D printer is a super power or power -up?

Like,
practice LIBERATION

yeah, good point

I also grew up making logos for health care grant applications.

Here is the latest logo I made through this emergent process.
A letter -mark for my project OATH: career sustainability, as Creatives.

Here are the inspirations for my personal logo
(aside from the obvious JP)
JP-logo

Liz Sanders, ‘Path of Expression’

My personal process diagram

I was at the Copper Hewitt on Friday and saw this poster which reminded me of our convo here https://collection.cooperhewitt.org/visits/krqj3/125806925/

I would definitely be interested! I am finding time management a bit challenging with this course and work, my own art and ‘off’ time… but I also think time to share these texts would be well invested. I certainly won’t do it on my own, but with a group, would be prompted to do so.

I play « mingle » I describe briefly how mingling is greeting others, waving, smiling, and off we go. We walk, skip, dance around as I sing Mingle, mingle mingle, mingle mingle mingle, mingle mingle mingle, mingle round the room… kind of a congo line tune and rhythm… then ‘find groups of…’ descriptors of samesies… we just had halloween, so, someone who had the sme feeling as you… angry they didn’t get to go trick o treating, excited, etc. We do several rounds with different group criterion. I also make sure there are no stranded souls, helping them to find their groups if standing there Alone and unsure.
It gives us a great feeling of connectedness across a variety of social pairings in addition to some expressive movement.

What do you call learning by shared doings? Grin… explacit? Taxplicit? I am playing with language and boundaries of ideas, but there is also the question of depth of shared experience…
I had a noticible sense of depth when doing shared art workshops, where we were invited to look at the others’ work and draw not only inspiration from the art we were studying, but also from our peers. At these sessions, I would have deep sighs of satisfaction, like the ones the body gives when satieated with food. I do not have thise when working in my studio alone although I do have moments of satisfaction. There is something different about creating in a shared studio space with a shared subject and material.

Thank you for the graphics share. I am fascinated by the juncture of text and image. I love children’s lit and graphic novels for that rich

My sister with dolly that fits in dress buggy with matching dress, doll and dress both homemade. I am so surprised my mom ‘hated’ sewing… When she made such beautiful things. I texted my sister the photo of the photo and doll, her immediate reaction was « I loved that doll! »

cool @MissMissShelly. Are you on the slack workspace? That might be an easy way to connect after the holidays or something

Thanks, @MissMissShelly. These activities sound wonderful. Are your students are k-6?

One of the reasons I’m drawn to this LCL group is that I work with undergrads and adults and wonder why and how we lose this kindergarten magic where we dance and act silly without being self conscious of what our friends think of us. It’s not just me that wonders this. There are so many books about how we lose this magic, right? It’s so sad. I’ve lost it too. I can be so self conscious. It sucks. What a barrier to connection!