LCL

Do Schools Kill Creativity? ~ Sir Ken Robinson at TED 2006

“My contention is that creativity now is as important in education as literacy, and we should treat it with the same status.” ~Ken Robinson

Many people know Sir Ken Robinson from his ground-breaking 2006 TED talk about the central role of creativity in unlocking human potential. The heartwarming and amusing talk, “Do Schools Kill Creativity?” struck a profound chord with people the world over, who connected with his moving appeal for a more diverse understanding of human intelligence and ability. It remains to this day the most popular TED talk of all time, having been viewed nearly 50 million times since it was first delivered. Sir Ken Robinson is an international expert on education and creativity, and an advisor to governments, non-profits, educational institutions and arts bodies around the world. He is the recipient of many awards and honorary degrees, and the author of numerous books, including the New York Times bestseller, The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything.

Sir-Ken-Robinson-quote-02

Sir Ken Robinson challenges the way we’re educating our children. He champions a radical rethink of our school systems, to cultivate creativity and acknowledge multiple types of intelligence. Ken Robinson makes an entertaining and profoundly moving case for creating an education system that nurtures (rather than undermines) creativity.

Here is the LINK of Sir Ken Robinson’s TED Talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity?language=en#t-15213

I love this talk. I’d love to share a project I did my freshman year of college, 4 years ago, that was inspired by this talk. I even filmed it for my local TV station, but they refused to air it because of the premise of the speech. Obviously, I was a little naive when writing this since I was just beginning my education degree, but I still feel the same way about a lot of this, only more informed and more passionate about education reform!! I hope to foster as much creativity in my students’ lives as possible as my career in education develops.

Thank you, Summer Drum! I love your project. And I do agree with you that schools are restricting children’s creativity. Another problem is students nowadays are experiencing increased exam stress in the classroom. Too much academic pressure along with parents’ and schools’ high expectation from the children cannot bring any positive outcomes, I’d say. So, we must re-think about the standardized tests which eventually provoke considerable anxiety among students. Education reform must be given priority. I’m very optimistic that many people now are questioning about the existing educational system/classroom teaching-learning etc. By the way, here I’d like to share a popular MOOC What future for education? offered by the University of London. As a participant, I can see many people around the globe are debating on the educational issues.
Thanks again for sharing your thought-provoking ideas as well as your personal educational experiences!!:heart_eyes:

@Summer_Drum great video :open_mouth:

Ken Robinson’s talk affected me deeply as well.

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for posting this! I assigned this video to my makerlab students in week one of the semester. They had to discuss then write about “alternative vs traditional education.” It was a good way to start off the course which is alternative, hands on, and project based. The video and discussion gave us a WHY, like, why are we doing it this way when all of my other courses are sit ask desk, take quizzes, etc…

Ciao! Questo video l’ho inserito un anno fa nel sito internet della scuola in cui insegno.
Ieri una collega mi ha ringraziato per averlo fatto.