[Week 2 Reflection] Thinking about Coding

Hi @AnneOgborn , interesting reflection. Could you explain more about differences in imperative and functional programming in education? What differences, in your opinion, could be find introducing to children and when it is better to introduce a specific paradigm?

Scratch will be great for small kids that are new to the coding and programming process

Mai programmato o pensato di programmare, questo fino a due anni fa quando, per caso, ho visto un post su facebook del professor Bogliolo dell’università di Urbino, che proponeva un corso on line “coding in your classroom now” … incuriosita ho provato a mettermi in gioco e devo dire che con tutti i miei limiti ho cercato di rimettere in discussione l’approccio metodologico con il quale proponevo ai miei alunni le lezioni. Che dire sicuramente questo approccio laboratoriale e progettuale, calato all’interno della didattica nelle varie discipline mi ha permesso di coinvolgere maggiormente gli alunni e dare loro maggiori opportunità per esprimersi. Anch’io ne ho sicuramente tratto giovamento, ripeto, con tutti i miei limiti

I never did coding and programming …my approach begins two years ago with a course on line by Prof. Bogliolo in Italy…before I thought that programming was a complicated thing , instead I found it to be creative and fun. I’m a teacher with an active didactic like Bruner theory, with coding you can do practice, explore and find so many areas of study.Just a limit: the time…school time is too little. What do you think about it?

I had some experience coding at college but mostly using HTML, so it was mostly to modify the appearance of website.
Scratch was a really cool tool that let me connect programming with other school subjects, specially “language”. It’s great to know how many of the school subjects are connected and that you can apply the same logic to the “letters subjects” than to the “science subjects”.

It’s all about structure, paying attention to the correct way you form a construction and it goes step by step, making you think about what you are really doing and how you can make it more understable to the rest of your peers.

So I guess that Scratch has helped to realize that maybe coding can be something fun and connected with a more artistic side.

I think that school time can be enough to start discovering how to coding. But if many teachers are involved in encouraging kids to program, they can use Scratch as a tool in every subject, showing different sides of this program.

Opening their minds could be a great way to make them try to discover what they can create by themselves.

The most important thing when transitioning students from Scratch to a text-based programming language is to find something they really want to do which would be easier to do in text than with blocks/sprites. As a long-time Scratch user, I became motivated to learn Javascript when I found I could develop new blocks and extensions for Scratch.

https://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Extension

Just as in the professional world, we choose the language that fits our project and we are best motivated to learn by the desire to build/finish such a project.

Seamus, I was excited to see the 2 new grid backdrops appear in the library and now I know who to thank: THANK YOU! One of the features near the top of my wishlist is for a snap-to-grid option in the Paint Editor.

BTW, I copied your grids into sprites so I could draw sprites over them, very helpful.

A big benefit of Scratch being free and online is how easy it is for students to continue projects outside of school. One of the most impressive Scratch users, bubble103, got her first taste of Scratch in School, then went on to master it through the creation of increasingly complex projects outside of school. While still a teenager she was invited to join Mitch Resnick to tell her story and share some of her best work during his opening keynote presentation at last year’s Scratch Conference:

Most impressive to me is how many of her projects are tutorials; Scratch has not only enabled her to become a programmer and an animator, but also a teacher (with students spread around the world)!

Yes, it has definitely changed the way I think about coding. When I started as a college webmaster in 1995, coding was my job. In the early days, the webmaster was the person responsible for installing the server software and configuring it, as well as writing all the html, javascript, perl codes that were needed and preparing images. (The code was MUCH less complex than it is now, so one person could handle all of it.) I loved every part of the job then, and could not believe that I was being paid for something that seemed more like a hobby. I was very sad when I retired, because I could not see any way to continue the fun through my retirement years.

Then along came Scratch! Now I am back to the fun of playing with code to see what happens when I change things, and to the pure delight when I can get something to work. Without the excuse of volunteering to help kids, I might never have found my new hobby. ( JV STEAM )

We can’t wait for Scratch 3.0. Thanks, Scratch!

Scratch has simplified the coding process and made it accessible to students of a younger age. When doing our own creating I believe teachers will see the ease of using Scratch, the part that turns teachers away is when students want to try something new and are doing something different then what they have shared. Programming usually doesn’t come with one solution, in education there are many that struggle with this concept. They want to be able to know how to solve all the problems and don’t like to look like they don’t know how to do something. With Scratch and coding, you are always having to learn.

Thanks Derek,
I’m delighted with your comment. As a teacher (of many years and much creativity) I felt there was a need to simplify the Scratch stage with an overlay of squares. Teachers that I work with appreciate that they can relate Scratch coding with squared paper and they can correlate coding with written school work. I have shared many examples of the use of the grids at my user ID readysteadycode
Thanks again. You are the first to notice. I hope more Scratch users notice their inclusion in the backdrop library. i would be grateful for you to spread the message in whatever ways you can. Seamus O’Neill goo.gl/NiGzgo

I don’t believe Scratch can be run on the iPad because it is Flash based. There is a app called Pyonkee that is similar to Scratch, but it does not have the community or the educator accounts like Scratch does. In my opinion, code.org does a good job of teaching the concepts of coding using someone else’s coding work. Scratch provides students with the opportunity to really express themselves in animation, musics, stories, games, and drawing. Nothing comes close to the full palette of opportunities and coding concepts it provides.

Hi I lead Computing in my primary school in Southampton, England. I use Scratch Junior with KS1 and Scratch with KS2 for the majority of coding. I have developed a scheme of work for colleagues to deliver a range 've of activities and have delivered units of work across the school ages 5 to 11.
I ave avoided coding activities that are closed and have enjoyed the open nature of Scratch to forge links with other areas of the curriculum.
The majority of children thrive and enjoy finding their own expression through the medium.
However, reading the materials. on this course and reflecting on the responses of colleagues on the forums, I feel that I may have been over directional in the way I have initiated projects in Scratch. I have also ‘missed a trick’ in not using the website to inspire and inform my pupils and encourage them to build on the work of others. I will return t o looking at a more process and less product based approach to coding.

Thanks for all the stimulation and inspiration.
Steve

@ Seamus O’Neil @ Breenworks. I took a look at the Ready Steady Code web site you share, but your book cannot be shipped to the United States. Is it available in digital form for download?

Coding through scratch is much more fan than the traditional ways of it! There are endless options! You can change only one small thing and make a brand new work! Creativity goes wild!!!
Although the traditional ways of coding offer you a lot of alternatives to experiment they lack the capacity of movments and sounds that scratch offer you in a much more easy way!(some clicks and here you are!)

It’s the second time I use Scratch, because at my school students use this program and some others to program. I think I had forgotten how great it is to work with scracth, regardless of whether you are a child or an adult.
From my opinion I think it is a good option to see different topics in class, since you can tackle simple things like sequences, or the degrees and angles for the turns and many other things. However, many times some teachers fall into fear of what will happen if what we expect in class does not come out, or if it goes out of control, without thinking about what students can achieve regardless of the objective.
I think we can take great advantage of this resource.

Scratch allows one to mess about and to try out your projects without harm. I wish it was more natural such as with ScratchJR — drag and drop via a touchscreen. Somehow touching the blocks creates a more 1:1 kinesthetic and intimate experience. It feels like you are in the screen.

I recall using Scratch many years ago and actually got to do like one tiny thing. I totally forgot how to use it, but the good and cool thing about it is that you can just visit the website and manage to get the hang of it with no major difficulties. I am writing this message without even doing the required name on Scratch. Scratch makes the word coding become something simple. I thought coding was only for those with special background and knowledge in programming.

My favorite programming language is Logo. For years, I taught a computer science course using Computer Science Logo Style by Brian Harvey. The book did a great job of introducing the fundamentals of computer science in the style in which I learned them.

When UCBLogo stopped working for my students, the course changed over to Python. I thought about switching to Scratch, but never found a textbook or materials that suited me. Just letting kids play around wouldn’t have met my learning goals for the course, and textbooks that presented a series of projects didn’t present their learning goals in a way that I could understand and adopt. I think it’s possible to learn a lot of computer science using Scratch (including modern concepts like object oriented programming and event handling) but I haven’t wrapped my head around how I’d go about teaching it.

My experience with Scratch has helped me take some baby steps toward object oriented programming and event handling. I’m still thinking about how projects in Scratch can lead to learning classical computer science.