[Week 2 Reflection] Creative Learning Spiral

I really like this visual, I think this is how I learn. I have a constant sense of curiosity, and so I’m constantly struggling to get myself out of the pit. Often times it is really easy with quick searches in Google, but other times it’s deep research and partnering with coworkers in order to get to the solution. The whole thing of “Where’s the next pit?” is really how I view the world. Love this!

imagine -> create -> think more -> corrections -> share -> discuss -> imagine …

I’d like to offer some thoughts about the creative learning spiral.
I don’t have any experience consciously “implementing” a project using this model. In the introduction video, Resnick was talking about the importance of students exploring rather than the teacher planning and teaching particular concepts or skills prior to the activity. I am wondering what the end results of a Passion Project (“Genius Hour”) would look like if one group used this spiral and another group used a more linear design-thinking process.
Since I’m starting a PAssion Project with my students soon, I’d like to try it. I wonder if anyone else has experimented with the two methods side by side.

I love that you added the emotional factor due to the fact that without emotion there is no learning. Bravo!

I’ve just been thinking (based on recent learening experiences) about how the creative learning spiral can actually be seen as an spiral within spirals.

What I mean is: inside the general loop of imagine-create-play-share-reflect-imagine there are usually smaller loops of the same spiral, brief excursions to sharing or playing or whatever other step.

Something like this:

Hope you get the idea, the project is kind of messy, it was done very quickly…

I am really cautious to use geometrical patterns (like lines or spirals) to describe human behaviours and historical processes because I am worried that could drive me to analyze events to make them match with my phylosophical schemes and biases.

I agree that a spiral model can be a useful semplification while designing learning experiences that avoid the classic “frontal lesson” approch.

On the other hand, in my personal experience, the spiral scheme do not describe the actual process of learning because it does not include what we do forget and what we suddenly remember, or what we partially learn and than we fully understand just yaers later. For example I learned German at school (frontal-passive lerning) and I also lived in Germany for almost a year (active-learning-by-doying), then I did not speak German for more than 10 years and now I still understand German quite good but I can not speak it anymore, but I cetanly can recover in few months almost the same level I got in years of learning… Forcing this kind of learning experience in a spiral scheme is possible but it would make us forget or mis-understand many interesting components of the learning/un-learning process.

If I have to choose a pattern to visually represent my learning experience I would say the paisley because:

1. it is not oriented, it has not a starting nor an ending point (while it gets drawn it has a starting point but then you can run its path up and down, like in your learning experience you can forget, remember and re-interpret your suppositions)
  2. it is made from different pictures which are each another related in some way but which have not the same origin, development, dimensions.

I use a kind of paisley pattern scheme inspired to the Resnick’s spiral (imagine-create-play-share-reflect-imagine) to design learning experiences, but I would not use it to describe or analize an actual learning process.

SL500

I would describe my creative learning process as something similar to the process shown above. I usually come up with an idea, create something, revise and then reflect on what I have made or written. The main difference between my creative learning spiral and the one shown above is that I do not share what I write or create. I prefer to keep things private and to myself.

Originale!

When I look at the creative learning spiral I find that I identify with the process similarly. However, I will say the very first step is usually the one that stumps me the most. I am usually not the person who comes up with a completely unique and unheard of idea. Usually, I am one who builds on preexisting ideas or projects to adapt them in a way that is more useful to me. Then, after going through the create, play, and share steps I spend a lot of time reflecting. I have been taught that through reflection we work towards perfecting our work. I reflect on the process such as what could I done more efficiently or what kept me from doing better. Reflecting and then answering these questions helps me to have a growth mindset.

As a base, I think that this model is an accurate description of the creative learning process. I would argue, however, that there are additional steps that should be taken into account and interlaced with the spirals existing elements. In examining this creative learning spiral, I would say that my creative learning process follows a similar pattern; I imagine something, and then I take steps to work it out. Also in examining the model, I have found that I tend to spend a more significant amount of time in the “imagine” and “reflection” stages of the spiral.

My creative learning process is similar, for the most part, to the one above. However, there is one step, depending on what I am doing, that I do not include. I imagine something, then create whatever that is using the necessary materials, then I tinker with the idea. The step I skip, depending on what I am doing, is share. I am a more private person, so I do not always share things I create until I am ready to do so. However, I do reflect on what I have been working on and what works, does not work, and what needs to be changed. Then I go back to the drawing board and begin the process again with imagine and continue my creative spiral until my project is complete. If I am satisfied with my project, I may share what I worked on with people I am close to, or possibly put my work in a more public platform, but not always.

I also do not usually share what I write or create because I am a more private person, so I understand where you are coming from.

I would describe my creative learning process similar to the process above. I start by coming up with several thoughts that usually turn into an idea. Once I get the idea I begin to edit and make sense of what I am trying to say. I do not have a problem sharing what I write or create.

My learning process is kind of like this. When i’m inspired I start creating then reflecting on what I wrote. I don’t usually share what I create because I’m not always confident in my creation. But whenever I am confident I share it with a few people.

My creative learning process is pretty similar to the one shown above. Typically, I will imagine something, then create it, see if I like the result, and then if I don’t like the result I will go back and re-create it. I don’t usually share anything with other people till I am completely confident in the final product. I dont mind sharing things with other people. I find pleasure in what other people say and the critiques and encouragements that they have for me.

My creative learning process would be similar to the example. I would begin with imagining an idea and then formulating in my head how to create the idea. Once I created the idea I would share it and reflect on how well it worked or did not work. I would then move back into the imagination stage to edit my original thoughts.

I feel like my creative learning spiral is relatively the same, but begins with inspiration. If I’m not inspired to do something, I usually will struggle to find the motivation to even begin the learning cycle, let alone imagine or create or share something.

My creative learning process usually begins with play. When I am working with tactile objects, I play with it to find out its purpose. Then, I begin discovering what else the object has the potential to do. If it’s malleable, I like to find out what I can make of it (create). This is where the imagination comes into play. Along with imagination, I also look at objects to see what else they could look like from a different perspective. For example, I often use moose to fix my curly hair, so when I squirt the moose into my hand, it sometimes looks like a duck shape or a snowman or a heart. As a child, my family used to look at the clouds to see what they were shaped like from our perspectives, so this could have cultivated the imaginative creativity.

During my process, I like to begin independently and then seek feedback or perspective from peers when I hit mental blocks. After gaining insight and suggestions, I go back to work.

I’m highly reflective, so I think that my reflective moments happen in between each stage of the process. Sometimes I process internally when I can figure out the issues, but I often times go to others when I can’t seem to pinpoint the problem at hand.

Thank you for sharing this perspective! I didn’t even think about inspiration, but I think you’re spot on because creativity is sparked when we’ve seen what can be done (through others’ work) and imagine how we can incorporate their ideas or processes to create a work of our own.

I totally agree! Inspiration is the base for creating thing! Its really important to imagine and come up with something in your mind before you actually create it.