[Week 2 Reflection] Creative Learning Spiral

A misstake in swidish is “misslyckande” but we (teachers at my old school) tried to make it a “lyckad miss”, which basically is a successful fail. How ever this might be an awesome way of seeing a fail when your young and the kids totally gets it, they some how looses it when they grow up. I can see the same thing when I introduce scratch to teachers who has never programmed. The successful fail is no where to be found and the pressure is on. I have to keep reminding the teachers that they are allowed to make misstakes, but still they do not want to make them. I even have to remind myself to not be so scared of making misstakes. I really like the spiral, and I think it is important to keep reminding ourselfs that it is okey not to know everything and not to have a solution to every problemat once! I think I might print it and put it on our wall :wink:

This spiral its a great way to achieve meaningful goals! I think “getting stuck” is part of that spiral and it leads to create or imagine new ways to keep going… Failing is learning too!

Thank you everybody!
I’ve read with interest all your reflections! I think too, that the Creative Learning Spiral starts with imagine, then you need a period of time during which you can reflect on, you can think quietly or you can play too, you can go out or you can take a break, then you can start to plan, and when you have organized your ideas you can create what you have in your mind! It’s quite important to remember that you have always the opportunity to improve your ideas, because only the time give you the opportunity to improve yourself and your project!
Daniela

On the education of hair cutting, always techniques come first. How to cut this, how to cut that. But I just wondered, if that’s the one of the old way of an education. If I’m thinking that each styles are project, and create solutions to the problem. That’s the what a creative thinker works. There might be new way of the education for hair cutter that should be. If there is that, the creative learning spiral might be like that.

Imagine=Consultation
Create=Hair cutting process
Play= Making the style(blowout, ironing)
Share=How the client likes it
Reflect=what you got, how it improves

I’m still working on it…umm

What do you think about a conceivable integration between creative learning processes and the steps of the scientific method? Creative learning spiral and scientific method cyclic pattern?

Thank you

More than through an image, I related the experience of spiral learning with the practice of contemporary dance, specifically the Graham technique, that is, it reminded me of the organic and inner experience of learning.
The spiral is a basic element in this technique, and consists of creating a continuous and infinite movement by visualizing opposing forces around the body. It begins with a pushing force that causes a discreet movement, practically invisible to the expectant, but creates a powerful rotation that starts from the base of the body to continue up to the back, involving dorsal, cervical and generating the natural movement of the arms, until it reaches the tip of the head. The sensation is a continuous and endless circle that surrounds the body and allows it to direct that energy in the creation and expression of more complex movements.

Making this relation, made me reflect on the importance of understanding learning as an internal force, yet little visible, but powerful as the ability to imagine and generate ideas that motivate a dynamic process of growth, exploration and continuous effort.
On the other hand, I also found the indescribable importance of learning by doing. Through this text I made a description (poorly, of course) about the spiral movement of the Graham technique, however, this transmission of information will never be as significant or fruitful as practicing and feeling the movement by oneself.
Finally, this discovery would not have been possible without the accompaniment, experience and passion of my classmates and of course, my teacher. At this moment, her singing voice comes to my mind, marking the rhythm of the movements and demanding us to explore in greater depth the spiral, unique in each one of us.Morgan_MarthaGraham_LetterToTheWorld_1940

In fact I used to use the 4C approach when I facilitate the kids in any Steam workshop, I see that this 4C’s (communication, construction, thinking and continuing) is similar to the creative learning process wherein the Connect part, student start connecting the idea or problem with something existing in the world and we can see that students imagine.

In the Construction part, students begin to build (physical or digital) model, we can see it create and play.

In the Contemplat part, students begin to test the model and see if there is any error, we can see that it is similar to reflection.

In the Continue part, students start thinking again to develop their model, and we can see that it looks like Imagen again.

What I see is different and very important is sharing where students can learn from each other and can also learn from other students even if these students are not in their class.
Also sharing make the society rich with creative learning.

Thank you.
Mohamed Kamel

A process that I really enjoy is this:

I know that this is not (visually) a spiral or even my own creation, but I believe is worth sharing in this community.

I love this! And I can’t wait to share it with my Code Club <3

I love this! I was thinking of something very similar. I don’t have the idea as my first stage either. For me the first stage is observe, ignite passion, then imagine. Most of my observe stage takes place is silence and introspection.

Thank you for the links to research on this subject. It is of great interest to me.

Tinkering is such an important part of the creative process. It is also sometimes the hardest part of the process to justify to people who don’t understand Making. I love how you have demonstrated its necessity.

I’m finding thinking about the Creative Learning Spiral and looking at everyone’s responses incredibly inspiring!

Seeing that others have included tinkering, failing, getting stuck and inspiration in their spirals has inspired me to think deeper about my own. I would say that, even though I haven’t included it here, submerging myself in inspiring ideas in definitely part of the process for me. I have also included what I call ‘percolating’ which is when an idea gets turned over in ‘the back of my head’ for awhile.

I have intentionally included responding with despair as part of my own cycle, so I can see it there and see exactly what it does to my creativity. It may also help me understand what is going on for others when they just up and stop working on something. I am loving that jubarbato posted the ‘Learning Pit’ graphic…just the inspiration I need for when this happens to me or the kids I work with!

If I am laughing and having fun, usually a good indicator I am on the right path!

I can absolutely empathize with all the people who put “get stuck” as part of your creative spiral. Surely, hitting roadblocks, or challenges that require additional consideration, are part of any difficult creative process. I also think that creative “spirals” of sorts, that let us go through the creative process of developing a project, can also form links with other creative spirals. For example, the “Imagine” or “Reflect” or “Share” stages of one creative spiral may inspire an offshoot creative spiral about an entirely different idea, and be the birth of a new project!
Example: If you’re designing a treehouse, you may encounter that one of your building materials isn’t working when testing out a design. This may lead you to develop a new type of building material to suit your project.

At my organisation (UBONGO) we have fail as one of our employee principles, but we call it ‘fail fast, fail forward’. I like the use of ‘fail’ in this context, because it is inevitable! I don’t think there’s a single person out there who hasn’t failed at one thing ever in their own life, but the important thing is that is happens FAST.

That means, not being afraid of it, or trying to avoid it; you have to test your theory at some point!
It also means not dwelling on that failure.

FORWARD is also important, because that’s about USING the failure as a learning point to develop and strengthen your idea.

So for me fail is great, but we need to encourage positive failure, and not the type synonymous with giving up!

In a conversation with an educator, she told me that the spiral is similar to a line but the process is much more chaotic, so i made a different version that i called the learning roulette, also the spiral somehow remembers me the design thinking and i think this is like a kids version of this approach.

I like to teach my young class of 5 and 6 year olds to think of everything as an algorithm. We write anchor charts and steps for all sorts of things. I constantly decompose to be able to effectively teach children how to become real “thinkers” and problem solvers, to have a consciousness about what they are doing.
We use Scratch Junior and apps like Popplet, Bookceator, Pic Collage and Seesaw to organise thinking.

One of the models I saw during my training as a teacher, was the one by KOLB: about learning styles. It’s a circle too and according to Kolb you should pass through the four stages, to really learn something.
So far, it looks a lot like the creative learning spiral.

As I understood it, each one of us has a PREFERRED LEARNING STYLE and as a teacher you should vary in work methods, to make sure that all students feel addressed (in their learning style).

As a teacher/coach you tend to start with your own preferred learning style first (which was an eye-opener to me), but actually you should sometimes start by experimenting (‘from scratch’), sometimes by explaining a theory, sometimes by giving a specific assignment…

The Creative Learning Spiral always starts at: Imagine. Starting to create and experiment from a blank page. But what about children/students who don’t feel safe with that learning style?

Thank you!
By the way, I love cooking!
And my cooking learning spiral is exactly the same!

The Creative Learning Spiral I think is a guideline and is not concrete this has been mentioned .before that you might go forth and back in the spiral.

I wanted to share the design thinking process which is usually used in engineering design or in creating business idea.

I would add that we could also introduce the design thinking process in project-based learning.

For example, let’s say that the door is 0.5 meter height, a man is 1 m long, how can we make him enter the door.

We can ask them in the ideation phase to come up with 10 solution and then implement the best one.

It is a good idea to combine the learning spiral along with the design thinking.